Pages

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Marvel's Thor The Dark World: Movie Review

Mr. Maven and I got a babysitter (woo hoo!) last weekend and went to see Thor: The Dark World at the local theater. I really wasn't that excited about seeing it, though I certainly didn't mind watching Chris Hemsworth in action. I honestly thought it wasn't going to be that great (what movie sequel really is?), and I cannot stand watching Natalie Portman try to act. Ugh. But I was pleasantly surprised. This movie was fun and funny and I actually enjoyed myself.

But I have to say that the actor who stole the show was Tom Hiddleston. Man, was he awesome! Loki totally stole every scene he was in, and I just couldn't tear my eyes from him. He is the deliciously tempting bad-guy-you-love-to-love. He's not evil, as I thought in the first movie. He's just corrupted by his desire for power and control. And why not? He's had to live in his big brother's shadow all his life! So it's difficult to hate him. Especially when just about everything that comes out of his mouth is witty and snarky. I want a Loki-only spin-off movie!

Okay, so the plot...umm...I'm not really sure what it was. There were some bad guys, dark elves, led by the big head evil dark elf called Malekith (which I think is a very cool name), and they were mad about...something. I think because Thor's father killed a bunch of them a long time ago? Anyway, they're not all dead and they're coming back to annihilate everyone in their path. And there is some sort of dark gooey stuff that has been hidden for a long time and somehow our dumb "heroine," Jane (Natalie Portman - ugh) has found it. The dark gooey evil stuff has
infiltrated her bloodstream and so she is a living weapon of mass destruction. So Malekith wants her, or the black gooey stuff IN her, and of course Thor cant let him have it. But Thor can't fight Malekith and his elves all by himself so he busts Loki out of prison and they team up.

Just don't think about it too much. The plot doesn't really matter in this one. It's just fun. Oh, and the snarky assistant, Darcy (played by Kat Dennings) is back and she's really fun again. So I recommend you see this film. Maybe if you're not crazy about the Marvel superhero world wait for it on DVD. But if you're a Loki fan, don't miss this one. And just wait until you see the Captain America cameo - brilliant! Four stars from me, for entertainment and eye candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment